Tuesday, November 9, 2010

It's sugary and sweet and just what I needed

Oh, how painful it is when you catch yourself backsliding. But I had lots of running around to do this week and I needed fuel for the belly – and the soul.

For me that means fried fat and sugar, preferably in the form of a donut. I don’t care if it has sprinkles, chocolate glaze or is simply an “old fashioned” classic. As long as it’s from Dunkin’ Donuts, I know it’ll go down easy and the sugar high will be immediate.

The monkey was on my back, whispering in my ear, but when I reached my usual shop in this little corner of the world, well yikes, it was closed. What’s an addict to do?

Of course there was that bagel place where the bagels are warm and the coffee tastes like something that’s been scraped off the bottom of your shoe; fast-food spots aplenty, now serving “gourmet” brew and sweets that taste like cardboard; and at least a half-dozen supermarkets in striking distance, all offering industrial-sized pastries and cold, watery cups of Joe!

No, I was jonesing for the real thing and, fortunately, I needed only travel another mile passed by usual haunt to find another Dunkin’ Donuts shop, mostly empty after the morning crowd had all headed off to work.

It was the fresh, hearty scent of coffee that welcomed me once inside, but it was the gleaming stainless-steel baskets filled with donuts that said hello. Jeez, so many donuts and so little time!

When in doubt, I say go with what you know. For me, that would be a small cup of coffee, a dollop of cream, and just about 3 of those blue thingies – hey, no calories. And the pièce de résistance? Why, that would be one perfectly formed chocolate glazed cake donut!

Bite, sip, bite, sip, bite, sip. Doesn’t take long and what’s the big deal? Well, if you’re counting, about 450 calories – 220 from fat. But, now that I think about it, I wasn’t counting. Okay, so I’m counting now and I promise I won’t slip up again. Really. No, I mean, ahhh, really. Really … until, um, tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment