Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Super Tuesday means booze on Sunday – finally

It was Super Tuesday here in the Land of Cotton today, but there was nothing super about the turnout at my polling place. There were at least a dozen or so vacant voting machines and only one other person waiting to vote when I showed up around noon.

I’m thinking the hardest thing to do for the half-dozen poll workers at my precinct was simply staying awake – so much for all the excitement being generated by the mushy field of GOP candidates. You’d think if there was much fire in the belly of the conservative base, they’d be showing it off in my little corner of the world – one of the most conservative regions in the country.

Truth to tell, the primary reason I showed up for this primary was to help bring my county into the new century – finally! I have little interest in the political warfare being waged by the loons on the political right but have a great deal of interest in being able to buy booze on Sundays.

The state legislature last year agreed that counties across the Land of Cotton should have the right to decide if retailers can sell alcohol on Sunday. Much of the state has already OK’d the Sunday sell of alcohol – beer, wine and liquor – and I’m thinking that once the vote is counted in my home county we’ll be joining the rest of the state, nation and most of the civilized world in finally putting the kibosh on the last of the blue laws. Can I get an Amen?

Meanwhile, the nutty right will probably continue to implode no matter which candidate manages to grab the majority of victories and delegates today. In fact, I don’t think I’m going very far out on a limb to suggest we’ll have the same guy in the White House following the general election in November. Here are 10 reasons why I’m willing to make such a wild and crazy prediction.

Santorum, Gingrich, Boehner, Cantor, Limbaugh, Limbaugh, Limbaugh, Limbaugh, Limbaugh, and, ah, Rush Limbaugh. ’Nuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment